Sunday, August 5, 2007

Relay For Life 2007




I participated in my 2nd Relay For Life this past July. It was another fun and emotionally filled evening to celebrate surviving cancer and remember and honoring those fighting the disease and those that have died.
Last year the event raised $525,000 and this years goal was $550,000. In a span of 17 hours the goal was reached and exceeded with a total of $640,000!!!!!!!!!!! What is great is this money is suppose to stay at the local American Cancer Society. That amount of money sure says a lot about the generosity of the people and buisness's of Yellowstone County.

The 1st pic is the survivor dinner which I participated in along with my Mom. Last year there were approx. 500 participants, and this year the number grew to around 700!
700 people is a lot, but when you think of the thousands of people that don't make it each day, it is so sad. To put that in perspective, the number of people that die from cancer each day is like having a 9/11 everyday!!! It is sad to see young kids at the dinner and in the survivor lap... BUT they are survivors!

The 2nd pic is Mom and I at the dinner. I look wasted as it was very hot inside the gym and I had on my survivor shirt we all received. I later took off my first shirt!

The 3rd pic are the survivors gathering at the start of the opening ceremonies and survivor lap.

No comments: